Expertise & products
An adventure since 1957

A family-owned business with strong values

The Cossette family succeeded in forging a lasting business partnership and becoming a key occupant of the Val-d’Or industrial park : over the decades, they built, acquired, and operated over fifteen OSB plants, sawmills and other wood transformation facilities across Quebec.

The Cossette family has made its mark on the forestry industry by becoming in the previous century the largest producer of oriented strand board (OSB) panels in Canada.

As passionate entrepreneurs with a strong growth mindset, the Cossette family decided once again to use their expertise to enter into the Ontario market by acquiring this new plant in Wawa.

Today, they remains an innovative and successful company while being deeply committed to sustainable practices that respect raw materials and the environment.

Since its foundation, the Cossette family has been committed to creating and maintaining jobs in the region by forming a qualified and dedicated team. As one of the largest employers in Amos, Mont-Laurier and Ferme-Neuve, they aim to have a positive impact on the regional economy. The family business now has nearly 350 employees, including second- and third-generation relatives, as well as over 250 contractual employees working in the forest and is about to create new with Wawa’s project.

governance

Board of directors
President : Marcel Cossette
Secretary : René Cossette

executive committee

Yolaine Rousseau

YOLAINE ROUSSEAU

Executive Vice-president

Graham Pepper

GRAHAM PEPPER

Vice-president Finances

Joanic-Cossette

JOANIC COSSETTE

Vice-president R & D

Michel-Sigouin

MICHEL SIGOUIN

Vice-president Operations

Éric Bergeron

ERIC BERGERON

Vice-president HR

PHILIPPE MARI

Vice-president Sales & Marketing

Products & manufacturing process

  • OSB is a panel made by binding wood strands with resins and waxes (resistant to moisture) with pressure and heat. The strands are oriented in opposite directions to provide superior mechanical properties of the panels.
  • In North America, OSB is widely used as structural panels for floors, subfloors, sheathing (walls, roofs, balconies, etc.) and webs for I-joists.
  • Wawa OSB Inc. will supply 7% of the total North American production of OSB panels and will be the 6th largest plant in terms of capacity in Canada.
  • The company will target southern and western markets, due to the availability of rail services directly at the plant’s site. We anticipate that 70% of the production will be sold in the US market and the remaining 30% will be sold in the Canadian market.
  • The mill will consume around 900,000m3 of roundwood.
  • Aspen, in a proportion around 70% and, birch as the residual, are the species of wood used to produce the OSB panels
  • The Wawa plant is located in the center of the largest source of poplars in Ontario.
  • This ensures a long-term supply of wood, both in quality and quantity.
  • Public forests will supply almost 100% of the mill’s log requirements.
  • The research and development team are developing several innovative improvements to the OSB manufacturing process.
  • By combining its experience in OSB manufacturing and its desire to stand out from the competition (superior product quality and optimizing production costs), management is driven by innovation for both the plant construction and the OSB panel production process.

The manufacturing process – OSB

The manufacturing process of OSB panels includes the densification of wood fibers oriented such that bending strength and dimensional stability are optimal. The final product contains wood with a proportion of 96%.

Debarker

Log Crane

Blender

Forming Line

Ring Strander

Finishing Line

At the beginning of the process, logs are placed in soaking tanks and heated for conditioning before sending them to the debarkers and stranders. The logs are thus transformed into strands of about 0.7 mm thickness, 150 mm long and 25 mm wide.

Lamellas are then dried in rotating drums at high temperatures (up to 200°C) for short periods of time. The thermal energy of the process is generated by a thermal power plant, which is supplied with bark, dust and wood residue.

The lamellas will then be directed to the mixing drums to coat them with wax and resin.

For the assembling of the mat, the strands are placed in a strategic orientation by the forming heads on a conveyor belt and transported towards the press.

The multiple opening press is loaded with 16 mats of size 8′ x 24′ on their grids.

Following the pressing, the panels are trimmed and graded according to quality (certified and rejected). The panels are then coated with a sealant that protects the faces and hedges of the panels from ambient humidity.